RE: R.C. tie beams-help

Mark,

You are correct.  There is not much guidance on how to design tie beams.
Avoid a "tension tie" per se' due to the requirement of mechanical splices.

I would size a tension tie so that not all the bars need to be fully
effective (size for 3 bars, provide 4), use staggered lap splices.  Confine
the splice zone with closed hoops.  Re:"Foundation Design and Construction
Manual" by Butler Manufacturing.

Regards,
Harold Sprague