Re: Brick veneer support guidelines

The California Building Code has limits of L/600 due to the weight of the veneer, Im not sure if its in the UBC yet, watch floor LL or roof snow load deflection if your rigidly attached, the spandrel is stiffer than the steel beam and will carry the load if its not detailed right.

>>> "Bruce Hopper" <Bruce(--nospam--at)uskh.com> 02/10 3:03 PM >>>
I am looking for design guide references for designing a steel spandrel beam to support a curtain wall system with a 4 inch brick veneer.  Where can I find recommendations for the maximum vertical deflection of the beam?

Bruce Hopper, P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
USKH, Inc.
2515 A Street
Anchorage, AK  99503

Phone (907)343-5231

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.