Re: Brick veneer support guidelines

ACI 530 (Masonry code) limits vertical deflection of beams and lintels
supporting masonry to L/600 or .3" when loaded with dead and live loads.

Some people will not include dead loads that are already in place prior to
the placement of the masonry (i.e. weight of beam, slab).

My own opinion is to use the live load, the weight of the masonry and any
superimposed dead loads that will not be in place prior to the placement of
the masonry.

You can also look up tech notes at the BIA (Brick Institute of America) at
www.bia.org.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, SE, PE
Structural Engineer

SmithGroup Inc.
500 Griswold, Suite 500
Detroit, MI  48226

Phone: (313) 442-8253
Fax:   (313) 442-8297

Work Email:     smaxwell(--nospam--at)dt.smithgroup.com
Personal Email: smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu

At 02:03 PM 02/10/2000 -0900, you wrote:
>I am looking for design guide references for designing a steel spandrel
beam to support a curtain wall system with a 4 inch brick veneer.  Where
can I find recommendations for the maximum vertical deflection of the beam?