Re: Welding Tubes

Along this same line, how do you deal with *minimum welds*?

Yesterday I was faced with welding a 1/4" tube (12"x24" built-up section)
to a 1" baseplate.  AISC *minimum weld* is 5/16" (thicker than the tube).
Structurally, 1/16" weld would be enough (if you could make one).

To get proper weld penetration into the base plate, you'll burn up the
tube.

Fortunately, this is not a "production" situation (only two columns, sized
for geometry, not strength).  The shop will preheat the base plates so we
can make a decent weld.

'Any other ideas?

Thanx,

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.