RE: Unreinforced Masonry Building

David, How about "center coring" the masonry.  You may have a challenge
identifying the exact location of the horizontals, however, removing
several of the face shells may indicate an approximate depth.  Let me know
what you think.
Kurt Lindorfer
PARADIGM Structural Engineers, Inc.
Tel: (415) 362-8944 Ext.6641