From: Lutz,James [mailto:JLUTZ(--nospam--at)earthtech.com]
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 1:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Chicago Bookstores and Pizzerias

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I didn't receive it before my trip. I
did find an architectural bookshop on S. Wabash with a small technical
section, and visited Powells on S. Wabash, but their engineering offerings
were pretty thin. The only pizza I had was at Giardano's on Rush Street.

I'm constantly surprised at how poorly bookstores respond to our market, but
I guess I shouldn't be. The inventory is expensive and moves slow. Much of
the time the books on offer are dated or not terribly useful. Here in the
Seattle area, the main University Bookstore near the University of
Washington is about the only worthwhile selection in the area. Powell's
Books in Portland is the best thing I've found so far on the west coast.
Even San Francisco is disappointing. I expected great things from the campus
bookstore at UC Berkeley, but was sadly disappointed. I was even
disappointed at the MIT bookstore when I visited it about eight years ago on
a trip to Boston. Best luck I've ever had is in New York. Sometimes I think
the publishers and bookstores are pretty clueless about what sorts of books
we would actually find useful.

Good to be back on the west coast. It's pretty cold in Chicago this time of
year.