RE: R=4.5 or 5.5

In a bearing wall system, per 1629.6.2, bearing walls provide support for ALL or MOST of the gravity loads. It does not say SOME of the gravity loads. Thus, a large tiltup building with just the perimeter of the roof supported by bearing walls could be considered as a BFS with an R of 5.5.

I personally don't do this because I don't have time to argue with plan checkers!

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc.
Ramona, CA 92065