From: SASQUAKE [mailto:sasquake(--nospam--at)uswest.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 9:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Lateral Force from Pedestrian Movement

In a message   Wed, 9  Feb 2000 19:01:27 EST
MSSROLLO(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

  The only equation we have now is "college town + college kids+alcohol+
thinking you
can sing/dance = problems".  Currently it is a food establishment, but I can

easily see it becoming a bar in the future.

* Your equation has too many unknowns, is dynamically indeterminate, and
appears to be highly nonlinear.  I would pay
* particular attention to resonance effects, if it got  to swaying in it's
fundamental mode.  So damping out displacements and their
* enthusiasm would be a good idea.  Kenny G forces may be significant.  So
maybe some extra braces, frames, and plywood
* would help.

* Make sure all connections are bombproof, so they don't Comealoosa, ala
Hyatt Regency in Kansas City. -|-|     all

again
* Our experience in the 1994 Northridge, California earthquake has been,
* if you don't remove that "backup bar", you could be in real trouble!
IYKWIM

* IANAL: The Balcony is now closed.

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But Beer Itself"        /        "We're All
Subducting In This Together"
           "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in
awareness."  -- James Thurber

Thanks in Advance

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL