Re: Overturning check

In a message dated 2/11/00 6:26:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com writes:

<< One last thought.  The material that would best be served by LRFD
 approach is probably soil, yet I haven't heard a rumor on for it.  Why?

Actually, there was an attempt to bring LRFD to soil mechanics back in the
early 80's at the Technical University of Nova Scotia (currently DalTech),
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, where I was a graduate student. In an advanced
soil mechanics course, Prof. Baikey, who is still there, asked us to design a
retaining wall for a variety of conditions using LRFD. I don't know what he
did with the results, and I don't remember anything other than that we used
LRFD. So, it may be around the corner, coming to a CODE near you.

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.