Re: Unreinforced Masonry Building

David Hall wrote:

As for taking the buildings down, this also is not an option, these buildings need to be operational.  I am going to take the advise one of you had about removing the shells and using forms to hold the grout. from the outside.  This is because the interior of the buildings are finished with gypsum and studs.  The wiring and equipment are also in place  This will not be pretty, but hey the buildings will be operational on schedule.

OTOH: Structural Engineering is the science and art of designing and making,
             with economy and elegance, buildings, bridges, frameworks and other
             similar structures so that they can safely resist the forces to which they
             may be subjected.

   "Something there is that doesn't love a cmu wall."

   "There'll be time enough for groutin', when the dealin's done."

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Grout But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"
           "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave