Re: Trivia - Where did the term Kip come from?

Dennis,

"Kips" means kilo pounds or 1000 pounds.  I don't know where the term "ton"
came from but it is not uncommon to be using "ton" as measure of weight in
construction   In fact I haven't heard anybody in construction used the term
"kips".  Kips are mostly use in design.  "Ton" is also use as a unit of
weight in metric.

Alfonso S. Quilala Jr., P.E.

<< Here is a bit of trivia:

 Where did the term Kip come from?
 How about the term "Ton"?

 I'm sure I don't have to provide the answer as most will figure it out. I'm
 sitting here watching a movie where the engineer is talking about tons in
 terms of weight and pressure. I thought it was unusual to hear an engineer
 talk about tons when Kips is our common term. Just got me to thinking about
 where the term came from.

 Regards,
 Dennis S. Wish, PE
 Structural Engineering Consultant