Re: Trivia - Where did the term Kip come from?

Neil Moore wrote:

Kips may be a common term that engineers use - but when talking to the
general public, discussing weight in tons really gets their attention.

* This is true . . . hence the fade from musical memory of such unmemorable nonmetric tunnes as:

*   "You load 32 kips and whadda you get . . ."      -- by Kippessee Ernie Edsel

*   "Quankipamera"
*   "Kip Dooley"
*   "If I were a kipenter"
*   "500 kips", and
*   "I'm glad you're here with me kipight"

*  This proves, then,  that engineers are ton deaf!  -y

*  If you have Norwegian ancestors in your family, it's hard to get rid of the image of pickled herring when you're checking *  stability - sizing fillet welds is not a problem.

James Bela

Oregan Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"
    "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber

Neil Moore, S.E.