Re: ENGLISH VS. METRIC

I do not think the metric conversion in the US has much to do with our being
hard-headed about an obvious flawed system that is definitely not based on
10.  It is easy to convert somethings to metric, but only a few things.  The
fact we have to learn metric more thoroughly is not even a real problem.  The
main problem IMHO is manufacturing goods versus selling those goods.

True conversion to metric also include changing our current standards, such
as:
    Cabinets 3'x2'..will now need to be some even metric size
    paper not 24X36 anymore..some metric size that is a "round number"
    8' wide garage doors...the list goes on and on.

The first person to supply true metric dimension lumber will find themselves
without any customers in the USA.  So either EVERYONE has to retool at
whatever cost and convert, or the ones that voluntarily choose to will have
no customers in the US.  This same example will be true for most phases of
construction.  I think automobiles are a lot easier to convert than
construction will be.  Think of all our construction materials that will not
match when someone wants to do an addition or a remodeling job.

So our main problem is that not only are we a major producer of goods, we are
also the major consumer of our own goods...How many of the countries that
converted from English to Metric also had to face that same situation?  Not
many I bet.  Of those that did, I bet their neighboring countries were metric
and there was a lot of sales already going on between the countries.  So they
had a place to sell their "new" metric goods".  In US, the states are similar
to these neighboring countries and all of our neighboring states are english
units.  Basically, I smell government subsidies being needed to ever enact a
true conversion.

Just my thoughts...
Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL