Re: Shear Flow

At 01:42 PM 02/14/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a wood glulam beam that I would like to reinforce by adding a steel
>channel to both sides. I am trying to find the shear flow at the channel to
>wd beam contact area so that I may figure our how many bolts I need to
>faster the composite beam together.

For practical reasons, you can't use bolts successfully to transfer shear to
wood to obtain composite action for flexure. There is too much clearance
space in both the steel and wood around the bolts to obtain direct bearing
before deflections have become excessive. You cannot use the bolts as clamps
to obtain shear transfer by friction between the clamped surfaces, because
the wood swells and shrinks with seasonal moisture changes, and compresses
cross-grain, and falls loose between the steel members.

Charles O. Greenlaw  SE   Sacramento CA