Re: Trivia - Where did the term Kip come from?

I sometimes wonder if, with a name like mine, my parents preordained me to be a structural engineer.

Several people have written in saying that the term kip is a bastard combination of metric and English units.  I'm not convinced that the term "kilo" is necessarily strictly a metric term.  The term 'kip" for 1000 lbs. has been in use in this country for a very long time, probably before most people even knew there was a metric system.  Other uses of the term "kilo" support this. $1 K for $1000 has been around awhile.  The word "century" meaning 100 years probably comes form Latin.  Decade means 10 years.  These terms were around before the SI system was developed, but they use "metric" terms "centa" and "deca".  So is "kilo" really a metric term?

Just a thought.

--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
  Portland, Oregon