Re: Trivia - Where did the term Kip come from?

Kipp Martin wrote:

I sometimes wonder if, with a name like mine, my parents preordained me to be a structural engineer.
* If your father was a structural engineer, that makes you a kip off the old block! -y

Several people have written in saying that the term kip is a bastard combination of metric and English units.  I'm not convinced that the term "kilo" is necessarily strictly a metric term.  The term 'kip" for 1000 lbs. has been in use in this country for a very long time, probably before most people even knew there was a metric system.

* According to my dictionary (Funk & Wagnalls Standard Kollege Dictionary), kilo, a prefix in the metric system, is derived
* from the Greek chilioi, a thousand.

Other uses of the term "kilo" support this. $1 K for $1000 has been around awhile.  The word "century" meaning 100 years probably comes form Latin.

* from Latin centum, meaning 100.  A centurion was in charge of 100 men.

  * Also perhaps of interest to engineers, cement comes from the Latin caementum, rough stone, stone chip.

  *Whereas dement comes from reading the Listserv discussion on Y2K and the millennium.

Decade means 10 years.  These terms were around before the SI system was developed, but they use "metric" terms "centa" and "deca".  So is "kilo" really a metric term?
* It's Greek to me.  Where did you metriculate anyway?  Kipp up the good work!  IYKWIM

Just a thought.

--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
  Portland, Oregon

James Bela

Oregon Earthquake AwarenessTM        /      The Quake NorthwestTM
"We Have Nothing to Fear But Shear Itself"        /        "We're All Subducting In This Together"
           "Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness."  -- James Thurber