2

		From: "Kipp Martin" <KAMartin(--nospam--at)carollo.com
<mailto:KAMartin(--nospam--at)carollo.com> >
		To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org> >
		Subject: Re: Trivia - Where did the term Kip come from?

		I sometimes wonder if, with a name like mine, my parents
preordained me to =
		be a structural engineer.

		Several people have written in saying that the term kip is a
bastard =
		combination of metric and English units.  I'm not convinced
that the term =
		"kilo" is necessarily strictly a metric term.  The term
'kip" for 1000 =
		lbs. has been in use in this country for a very long time,
probably before =
		most people even knew there was a metric system.  Other uses
of the term =
		"kilo" support this. $1 K for $1000 has been around awhile.
The word =
		"century" meaning 100 years probably comes form Latin.
Decade means 10 =
		years.  These terms were around before the SI system was
developed, but =
		they use "metric" terms "centa" and "deca".  So is "kilo"
really a metric =
		term?

		Just a thought.

		--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
		  Portland, Oregon

GEORG A. M. KRALIK, P.Eng.,  M.Eng. -  Structural,  B.A.Sc. - Civil
Senior Design Engineer - Civil/Structural
Ontario Power Generation - Nuclear,  Station Engineering Support Division
      Engineering Mechanics and Codes Department,  Structural Analysis
Section
700 University Avenue - H12 D08,   Toronto,   Ontario,   Canada    M5G 1X6
      Tel.: (416) 592­4341,   FAX: (416) 592­8802,