From: Ed Fasula [mailto:tibbits2(--nospam--at)metro.lakes.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 4:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Office Communication Challenges

I work in a small office that recently expanded from 1 to 3.  I have noted
that nearly every problem that has come up in project work can be attributed
to a communication break-down between the Principal, myself, and the
drafter.  One of the most nerve-racking instances is when the drafter starts
pulling details and sections off other jobs, and I'm not clear what has come
from the Principal, and what comes from the drafter.  I have suggested color
coding or layering to the drafter several times, but he just does not do it.
Before I wring his neck about it, I thought it would be good to see what
solutions others have come up with.

Another, much less common, source of confusion it when preliminary ideas are
misunderstood as finished designs.  Other problems occur when three
different people are talking to the client.  I'd like to hammer out some
rudiments of an office procedure before the season is hot & heavy on us.  Of
course, the challenge is always to spend *less* time on projects, not more.
Maybe the best solution is to simply take an hour (still very hard to come
by) at the end of a project and review together... any ideas or experiences
shared much appreciated, as always.

Regards,
Ed Fasula EIT