RE: Office Communication Challenges

Communication is a challenge in any office of any size greater than 1.

I suggest that you and the drafter talk about the status of the details on a
drawing whenever you pass drawings between you, rather than relying on a
"color code" system. But the use of established color codes can help when
marking up a drawing. If you can't talk directly all the time, write notes
on the drawing prints to identify useful supplementary information. But
whenever possible, direct verbal communication is best for the problems you
described. Also, talk to the Principal as often as needed - it is better to
ask alot of questions than to make alot of mistakes or have to redo work.

Regarding the client, it is best to have the Principal be the primary client
contact. When others communicate with the client, the Principal should be
notified of such discussions (e.g., pass on written telephone conversation
notes to the Principal).

Good Luck.