Shear Wall W/ Wood I-Joist Rafters

Rich,

For some reason the concept of a wood I-joist being supported on its thin web
at a birds mouth cut just doesn't appeal to me, no matter what their numbers
say.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona  USA

Rich Lewis wrote:

>>I am designing a building with wood I-joist rafters, gable roof w/ 5:12
pitch.
 I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have experience with
detailing wood I-joist construction.  I have some typical details produced by
the I-joist industry.  I am planning on using a bird-mouth detail for the
rafter bearing as shown in their details, with 2x4 outlookers to form the
eave. <<