Re:Wood I-Joist Rafters

Just an FYI but in the new Structural Engineer magazine they have an article
on Engineered lumber in their section tilted Manufacturer's turn and it
states "Using I-joists in stick built roofs, as a roof rafter attached into a
ridge board, is typically not recommended" It goes on to say that this is due
to the smaller area of I-joists compared to rectangular sections, which
reduces its capacity in the axial direction.  Another thing to keep in mind
is that as a members axial load increases, its deflection due to bending
increases as well.

-Bill King, EIT