Original Text
From: <Chanel1096(--nospam--at)aol.com>, on 02/18/2000 8:58 AM:
To: SMTP@MKC38601@Servers[<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>]

Just an FYI but in the new Structural Engineer magazine they have an
article
on Engineered lumber in their section tilted Manufacturer's turn and it
states "Using I-joists in stick built roofs, as a roof rafter attached into
ridge board, is typically not recommended" It goes on to say that this is
due
to the smaller area of I-joists compared to rectangular sections, which
reduces its capacity in the axial direction.  Another thing to keep in mind
is that as a members axial load increases, its deflection due to bending
increases as well.

-Bill King, EIT