RE: Testing the waters in Court

Mark,
Before I respond, please keep this thread on the listservice as I believe
the issues are important. The City of Los Angeles ST-12 document was
recommended to me as a document exempting one and two story structures as
was expected to be the position of the seismology committee based on Ron
Hamburger's appraisal of the 12/4/99 meeting. However, when carefully read,
this is not what the document states.

I believe that my post was in agreement with your appraisal of the L. A.
City document. This was my point. For a while now it was touted that Los
Angeles has exempted one and two story wood structures from full compliance
with the UBC provisions. This is what those on the listservice expected
after reading Ron Hamburger's synopsis of the December 4th Seismology
meeting "unanimous opinion". However, as you and I indicated, this was not
the intention of the Los Angeles Interim document ST-12.

This means that the issue is as yet unresolved and that Los Angeles chose
only to provide an "Alternative" design methodology intending to achieve the
same or similar solution as the UBC. This absolves the city of the
responsibility which many of us assumed, was a recommendation to comply with
a less than compliant standard.

This does not, in any way, add credence to the full compliance methodology
simply because it resolves the problem in a less tedious manner - the fact
remains that many of us believe the design resulting from compliance with
the code is much too conservative and fails to address the greater
problems - construction quality and education.

The fact remains that many cities in outlying areas are accepting and
issuing permits for less than compliant designs. In my area where three
cities and the county of Riverside have chosen not to enforce compliance are
based on the lack of understanding, the failure to provide rational
explanations and the known errors in the UBC that are yet uncorrected.

Returning to the point of my post - at what point will the independent
members of the professional community find it necessary to resolve these
issues in court and should we be suggesting a defense fund for engineers
caught in the trap?

Dennis S. Wish, PE