!997 FEMA 273 Guidelines Overturning Problems

There was a meeting of the ASCE/FEMA 273 Prestandard ASCE Standards Committee
on February 14 -15, 2000 in San Francisco, CA.  At this meeting were
presented so-called "Global Issues."   One of the Global Issues was the
problem how 1997 FEMA 273 attempts to deal with overturning, which was
highlighted as one of the technical inadequacies in the 1997 FEMA 273
Guidelines in the BSSC Case Studies Report, now FEMA 343, page 89.

This Global Issue, 2-1, dealing with the overturning problem, is still
"unresolved" as of the end of the meeting and probably will remain
"unresolved" pending the results of the "basic research," which is currently
not funded.  In other words, the ASCE/FEMA 273 Prestandard will not present a
solution to the FEMA 273 overturning problem, except to increase the Rot
factors in the "side-bar" equation in the 1997 FEMA 273 provisions. How can
ASCE promulgate an ASCE Standard for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings
when one of the most fundamental issue (how to address the calculation of the
overturning forces at the bottom of the superstructure at the top of the
reinforced concrete foundation system and at the foundation-soil interface)
will be "unresolved" because of the lack of the results of the "basic
research" needed to resolve this important issue?

I have submitted my three case study calculations presenting the FEMA 273
overturning problem to dozens of knowledgeable structural engineers.  Only a
few have responded.  One was a retired professor from San Jose State
University who said that my calculations look "OK " and illustrated that
there was a problem of how 1997 FEMA 273 attempts to address the overturning
problem.  Another author of the 1997 FEMA 273 Guidelines wrote me: " .your
calculations show that the Linear Static Provisions overturning provisions in
FEMA 273 are confusing and unmeaningful."

Two other structural engineers sent me email messages teling me that my
calculations show that there were three possible and logical solutions on how
to calculate the reactions at the bottom of the superstructure to the
reinforced concrete foundations and none of them were correct.  And finally,
a respected member of the FEMA 273 team wrote me: "We all (the FEMA 273 team)
agree with you that the FEMA 273 overturning checks are all screwed up.  AND
WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT."  (Emphasis added.)

I will not add further editorial comment except to say that the earthquake
engineering profession has a responsibility to provide the best information
to the public and the profession on how to address the earthquake risk
problem and to help other professionals in the field who request help.  I
have sent out dozens of copies of my three case studies calculations and
asked for comments and help how to address the FEMA 273 overturning
provisions and except for the above brief replies by the five structural
engineers, I have basically received NOTHING.  How can we call the earthquake
engineering profession a profession when it will not help other professionals
address the problems related to earthquake engineering by providing peer
review comments and responses for request for assistance to help resolve
carefully prepared and respectfully presented questions and problems?   Think
of where the medical profession would be today if they did not function as a
profession and help other medical professionals who request assistance and
peer review comments.

Frank E. McClure   February 21, 2000