RE: Steel Connection Design Costs

   I think Charlie has distilled the answer as well as anyone could.  I
don't think that anyone could put a percentage value on it that would be
applicable for all fabricators.
   For my company it is definitely more economical for us (the fabricator)
to design the connections.  We prefer to work jobs this way and generally do
so for design/build projects and for projects where the owner is genuinely
concerned about the economics of fabrication.  The savings are real, but I
could not give you a percentage benefit, the variables change so much job to
job.
   The most important factor is definitely communication and exchange of
information between the fabricator and the EOR.  It is critical for the EOR
to decide whether web stiffeners are required or not, whether full
penetration moment connections are required or not, whether the use of shear
tabs and single angle connections are acceptable, and other basic
guidelines.  Providing actual beam reactions (or reasonable approximations)
is very important in keeping costs down.  Those "abitrary guidlines" that
Charlie mentioned are definitely a big cost inflator.
   Most fabricators are thrilled to be able to work with the EOR at the
start of the fabrication process (or even better during the design phase) to
develop a plan to reduce costs for the project.

William Pulyer PE
SteelFab, Inc
Charlotte, NC