RE: Reliability/Redundancy Factor

By definition, however, the base story shear is defined for the entire level, not individual bents, irrespective of the load transferring ability of the diaphragm. Considering that the entire concept is screwed up, I would go for the letter of the code.

Anyway, buildings shouldn't penalized for lack of redundancy. Rather highly redundant structures should be rewarded with reduced shears.

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc.
Ramona, CA 92065