RE: UBC/LA City Code and Lateral Design Forces

George,
Assume for the minute that the engineers who are designing by historic
method and who believe that he current, more elaborate method, does not
provide additional levels of safety. Therefore, they continue to design as
they have in the past and ignore the requirements of the present. As you
noted, this may be considered the standard of practice.

Now, consider that a major earthquake occurs and even one of the homes
designed by the conventional or historic method fails and life is lost. The
engineer is sued for non-compliance to the current code. Still, it is not
known if the increased scope of the new code would have provided further
protection.

The engineer would have a tough time using the prevailing practice as a
standard of care - yet there would be no way to tell if loss of life could
have been prevented by full compliance. Therefore, the engineer may be found
liable simply by the fact that he failed to comply with the minimum
published standard.

This is why I feel that it is necessary to resolve these issues NOW or
litigate them in court by insuring a defense fund for the unlucky engineer
who is sued for damages where another expert witness testifies that he did
not fully comply with the written provisions of the UBC and designed to a
lesser standard whether or not it was considered an acceptable prevailing
practice.

Do you see the dilemma that occurs?

Regards,
Dennis