From: Ron Hill [mailto:ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 9:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Comp: Networking the Intelligent Home

Denis,

This was on http:\\www.infobeat.com
*** DSLs more vulnerable to hackers

NEW YORK (AP) - Two weeks after he got a fast Internet connection in
his home, Carey Bunks noticed he wasn't the only one using his
computer. Everything seemed fine with the machine, until Bunks, a
scientist for BBN Corp., a research firm in Cambridge, Mass., checked
his computer while reading up on network security. To his surprise,
he found that someone had gained access to the computer via the
Internet, and set it up so that it could be controlled from the
outside. Bunks believes one of the reasons he was attacked was his
new Internet connection, a digital subscriber line, or DSL. Such
lines are spreading fast to homes, along with cable modems, which
provide similar speeds. Experts warn that the fast connections bring
security risks of which few users are aware. ###

Ron Hill