forklift vs. crane column

Has anyone had to repair bent columns from collisions with crane columns
and forklift trucks. In this case the crane is a 5 ton and the load on the
column is about 25K. The column is a W8X24 and one of the flanges is bent
in about 1.25" where it was hit. The other side of the flange is bent
outwards about .75". There are two impact locations and the deformation
takes place over roughly the bottom third of the column. It does not seem
to be bent in the weak axis. They want concrete encasement for the column
for the future and whatever repairs are required. Since the column has
(had) spare capacity I was considering the concrete encasement to be all
that would be required. This column supports only the vertical load.
Another column behind supports the lateral loads. It was also hit so I was
going to encase them both together in a RC pier about 5' high.
Should I weld on plates as well? Or do you think the concrete encasement
will control any localized buckling due to the confinement?
Thanks

David Handy, P.Eng
Ontario, Canada