RE: forklift vs. crane column

David,

I did a lot of work for automobile assembly plants.  Auto workers called
building columns targets.  I have repaired hundreds of columns due to
forklift impact.

It is not much of an effort to heat the flanges and bend them straight.  But
with the damage you have described, I don't think that it is necessary with
a good encasement and closely spaced hoops.

Concrete will spall and will look ugly after awhile.  Consider the following
repair solution:
Encase the column with a reinforced concrete rectangular or square section.
Provide angles with headed studs on the corners to provide armor for the
concrete.

Regards,
Harold Sprague