RE: Comp: Networking the Intelligent Home

Thanks Bill,
As Ron Hill also noted, there is a degree of vulnerability to using any full
time connection. I am aware of this and had done sufficient research to find
BlackIce which is a software that sets up a firewall which prevents (reviews
claim very effectively) access from the outside.
I had already intended to purchase the software.

That is, until I read a post by Stan Caldwell which made me very concerned
about using DSL. It seems we need to investigate what we get for the $32.00
per month. As Stan pointed out:

1. The $32.50 or Bronze service provides a 768/128 service which may make
video conferencing difficult (although I have a need for a 30 frames per
second type of video using an inexpensive camera like the one Earthlink is
offering to their clients).
2. The service does not include an ISP partner - which means maintaining my
Earthlink account or paying an additional $20.00 per month for GTE's
service.
3. To use the DSL line concurrently with the phone line costs an additional
$22.00 (+/-) per month

The cost rises considerably to about $75.00 per month on the low end and
%95.00 for good video.

On the other hand, it this really reduces our typical $150.00 plus long
distance bill each month, then it will be worth the cost (my parents, two
step-daughters and four grandchildren live in Chicago and my Son now in
Stockton).

Thanks again for the information,
Dennis