From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:wlpolhemus(--nospam--at)sbinfra.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 3:43 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'; 'structx(--nospam--at)topica.com'
Subject: Retrofit Involving Steel Joists

I've got a little job where we must add some medium-heavy (IMO) equipment to
the roof of an existing building. I know who supplied the roof joists; I
have the original engineer's drawings where he called out the joists (incl.
the SP joists for equipment loads at the time the building was designed).

I called the joist manufacturer, and he pointed me back to the steel
fabricator, saying "he only gave us a fabrication list, he detailed the
steel".  But a call to the steel guy yields only a finger pointing back the
other way!  He claims "we wouldn't have done anything different from what
the engineer prescribed".

Only problem is, this doesn't answer the question of who designed/detailed
the "SP" joists which are diagrammed on the engineer's drawings.

I want to know who I should expect to have this design data.

Can someone give me some opinions and guidance on this?