RE: Retrofit Involving Steel Joists

Bill,

In my experience the joist manufacturer always designs and details the
joists if they are specified as SP joists.  The Engineer must provide a
properly size the components of course.  I don't see why the fabricator
would design the joists when this is the joist manufacturer's specialty!  On
the other hand, sometimes people don't always do things in the most logical
way.

William Pulyer PE
Charlotte, NC