RE: Retrofit Involving Steel Joists

Bill,

If they were marked SP, they should have been designed by the joist
manufacturer.

That is the simple answer.  What happens in practice is the manufacturer
says it will take longer to design and fabricate those SP joists, and
occasionally the detailer just bumps the chord size a couple of sizes to use
a standard size.

You need to get the actual list submitted by the detailer to the joist
manufacturer, then you can talk to the manufacturer more effectively.  If
they are marked SP on the actual list submitted by the detailer, it is the
manufacturer's responsibility to design the joists.

Regards,
Harold Sprague