From: Dan Vines [mailto:dan(--nospam--at)willettengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 1:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Comp: Networking the Intelligent Home

Dennis,

It seems as though you have run across what is probably the most frustrating
thing about DSL:  availability and pricing in your area.

I don't recall from your original post who your local telco or provider is,
but that simple detail can make your costs vary wildly.  In Atlanta, I have
DSL thru Mindspring (oops!  that's Earthlink now) for $49.00 per month.  The
same service is avaliable thru BellSouth for $59.00 (I used them until the
Mindspring deal came along.)  With either of these plans, you get ISP
service.  I have never heard of someone offering the line w/o it.  Also, it
is ridiculous to charge an extra $20 or so in order to be able to use the
phone line at the same time.  That is one of DSL's biggest selling points
other than the speed.  Also, are the speeds they quote "guaranteed"?  Most
"residential" providers only quote "best effort" speeds.  For example, mine
is 1.5 Mbps, but I'm getting around half of that.  To get a guaranteed
throughput, I'd have to change providers and pay around $150 per month.  Too
rich for my blood.

There are certain markets in the country that are getting faster service for
even less.

For those prices and services, I might be tempted to wait the market out or
look again at a cable modem.

Good luck
Dan