Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Retrofit Involving Steel Joists

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

If you want to know the member sizes of the joists and get the SJI
calculations for them you need to deal with the joist manufacturer. They can
tell you anything you want to know about them, ie. member sizes, stresses,
dimensions, etc. I deal with Canam Steel Corp. and I have never had a
problem getting any info I desired on ANY job they supplied the joists on.

Hope this helps.


-----Original Message-----
From: Polhemus, Bill <wlpolhemus(--nospam--at)>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)' <seaint(--nospam--at)>; 'structx(--nospam--at)'
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 3:45 PM
Subject: Retrofit Involving Steel Joists

>I've got a little job where we must add some medium-heavy (IMO) equipment
>the roof of an existing building. I know who supplied the roof joists; I
>have the original engineer's drawings where he called out the joists (incl.
>the SP joists for equipment loads at the time the building was designed).
>I called the joist manufacturer, and he pointed me back to the steel
>fabricator, saying "he only gave us a fabrication list, he detailed the
>steel".  But a call to the steel guy yields only a finger pointing back the
>other way!  He claims "we wouldn't have done anything different from what
>the engineer prescribed".
>Only problem is, this doesn't answer the question of who designed/detailed
>the "SP" joists which are diagrammed on the engineer's drawings.
>I want to know who I should expect to have this design data.
>Can someone give me some opinions and guidance on this?