Re: Confinement Reinforcement Spacing

That's the way I'd read it.  The "depth-of-beam" requirement is for
45 degree cracks.  Short columns like that (L/D << 6) are very prone
to brittle shear failure & are the ones that need the confinement
the most.  I seem to recall L/D >= 6 tends to be flexural-dominated
failure mode, but htat may be the fuzziness talking....

HTH,

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu