Re: Plaster

Marlou,

The following reference has information on the strength of plaster and
gypsum wall board (pp. 43-45):

D. E. Siskind, M. S. Stagg, J. W. Kopp and C. H. Dowding, STRUCTURE
RESPONSE AND DAMAGE PRODUCED BY GROUND VIBRATION FROM SURFACE MINE
BLASTING, Bureau of Mines Report of Investigations RI 8507, US Dept. of the
Interior, Pittsburgh, PA, 1980.

Table 7 in this report lists summaries of various static, dynamic and
fatigue tests.  However, failure stresses are listed as either tensile or
shear - not compressive.  Tensile capacities range from 200 psi to 300 psi
for static tests of plaster beams and plaster panels as reported by Leigh
in the following reference (which I do not have).

B. R. Leigh, LIFETIME CONCEPT OF PLASTER PANELS SUBJECTED TO SONIC BOOM,
UTIAS-TN-191, Univerity of Toronto, Canada, July 1947, 78 pp.

If all you need is a ballpark estimate, this information should be helpful.
 But, if you need something better, I suggest you consider testing.  There
are just too many variables that can not be addressed adequately otherise.

Walt Sawruk
EQE International, Inc.
Shillington, PA

email: ws(--nospam--at)eqe.com