RE: Off-subject(?): Indiana PE exam(s)

I believe that most engineers practicing structural engineering in the
U.S. have passed the Civil PE exam.  I know that in Illinois you must
pass both Structural I and Structural II to design ANY structure (even a
single family home).

Many states don't even offer all of the discipline specific exams, my
home state of NJ does not even offer the Structural I exam.  I am a
structural engineer, and passed the Civil PE in DE, and just recently
passed the Structural I PE exam in DE.  I'm going to take the Structural
II in DE this April.  The board secretary was curious why I wanted to
take the Structural II exam, and I explained that I'd like to eventually
become licensed in Illinois and other states that require these exams.
They told me that they've never administered the Structural II exam
before. I'm taking the exams at DE because the exam site is my alma
mater, U of D, so I'm familiar with it and it's also a comfortable
location to test; I hope you are as lucky with your site. The Western
Zone SE exam (16 hour) is different from the Structural I and II (16
hour) and I know that in CA you can't get reciprocity as an SE unless
you've taken the Western Zone SE exam, and also passed the Civil PE and
the Special Seismic and Special Surveying exams as well.  The Western
Zone SE exam has been previously given in Washington, Oregon, Idaho,
California and Hawaii.

In Utah, to call yourself a structural engineer, you need to have passed
the Civil PE and both the Structural I and Structural II exams or the
Western Zone SE exam.

As far as exam format goes, the Structural I is similar to what the
Civil most recently was, i.e. 4 essay problems in the morning and 4
multiple choice problems in the afternoon, but you have no choices,
there are only 8 problems total given to you.  The Civil exam was
similar, but you had 12 problems to choose from in both the morning and
afternoon sessions.

The 8 categories of the Structural I are listed on the NCEES site, as
are those of the Structural II and all other disciplines
(www.ncees.org).  The Structural II exam is an essay only exam in which
you choose 1 of 2 problems offered to you in both morning and afternoon
sessions.  You choose either a Bridge design problem or a Building
design problem in each session.  The afternoon problems have seismic
content.  The grading philosophy is also different, and the exam cost is
about 3 times that of the typical PE exam.  The problems also usually
require you to perform a cost analysis to determine the most cost
effective design for the problem.  I am almost certain that you must
take the Structural I exam before you take the Structural II exam.

Hope this helps,

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin-Espenlaub Engineering