Re: Off-subject(?): Indiana PE exam(s)

Jack,

It would seem from the information that you supplied that you don't have a
Bachelor's degree in engineering (yet?).  It this is true this may present
you with some problems.  Most states (in not all) require a degree from a
ABET accredited engineering program _OR_ equivalent to become a PE (or
SE).  The equivalent typically means that YOU have prove that you have
taken all the equivalent courses to what ABET requires.  From the brief
description that you provide, I don't think that you would be permitted
yet to take the PE exam in Michigan, but I cuold be wrong.

See the information in the recent post by Albert Meyer.  I have followed
a similar path to what he describes.  Michigan does not offer the
Structural I exam.  I took the Civil exam.  THe civil exam is an 8 hour
exam with 4 "essay" questions in the morning (you choose from 12 or so
possible problems) and 4 multiple choice problems with 10 parts per
problem (again you choose from 12 or so problems). The Civil exam contains
questions from structures, geotech, highway/transporations, surveying,
hydraulics/hydrology, wastewater, etc.  in otherwords, it is a TRUE Civil
exam.  I passed and am now licensed as PE to do Civil engineering in
Michigan, even though I only really do structural.

I have since obtained my SE in Illinois.  To do this, I had to take the
Structural I and II exams.  They are just as Albert described them.  The
big difference between the Structural I and Civil exam is that the
Structural I exam ONLY cover structural problems and for each "session"
there are only 4 problems.  I passed (finally) both and am licensed as an
SE in Illinois to do Structural engineering.  One item that I will
disagree with Albert on is his comment that only SEs can design structures
in Illinois.  According to Illinois' own "manual", Architect can legally
design structures, but PEs cannot.  The catch is that the Architect must
have the knowledge/experience to od the design.  Say an Architect designs
as moment frame system and seals it but has no training/education or
experience to do the calculations, then that architect could get in
trouble.  Keep in mind this is per Illinois' own manual.

If you can take the PE exam, you will take the Structural I or Civil exam.
If all you ever want to do is do Structural engineering, then take the
Structural I exam...but keep in mind that this might cause problems
getting reciprocity in some states (i.e. maybe Michigan) who don't
offer/accept the Structural I exam at this time.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, SE, PE
Structural Engineer

SmithGroup Inc.
500 Griswold Street, Suite 200
Detroit, MI  48226

Telephone: (313) 442-8253                              Fax: (313) 983-3636

Email for Business: smaxwell(--nospam--at)dt.smithgroup.com
Email for Personal: smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu