Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Off-subject(?): Indiana PE exam(s)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

While can only speak about Michigan and Illinois (SE at least), I believe
that most PE requirements are based on having a ABET accredited degree OR
equivalent.  This means if you have an ABET accredited degree in
engineering, you should have no problems.  However, if you have an
engineering degree taht is not from an ABET accredited program (i.e.
typically this would mean a degree from a foreign university), then it
must be shown that the classes that you took are equivalent to what ABET
requires.  This can mean that you have to "prove" this (i.e. gather
descriptions of class for comparison to ABET classes).  The last scenario
is if you don't have an engineering degree.  I honestly don't recall how
Michigan (or Illinois) handle this since it wasn't something that I had to
deal with myself.  If I remember tonight, I will peruse through my copy of
the Michigan PE act and get back to you.  I think that you might have some
problems in the future with reciprocity if you don't have your engineering

As an example, there was a post by someone try to get reciprocity in North
Dakota (?).  This person had gotten his PE in Minnesota.  When took the PE
exam in Minnesota, he was actually about a month short of 4 year
experience but was allowed to take the exam.  He passed.  After practicing
wiht his PE for many years, he applied for reciprocity in ND but was
denied because at the time he took the PE exam he did not have the full 4
years experience.  You can probably look through the archives if you want
more info (or that person might speak up again).  I believe the post was
around July or so.

Therefore, you might want to look a little further into things before you
take the PE.

BTW, NSPE has some book that supposedly talks about the requirements for
various states.  I might acquire that book in the future.  I think it
costs about $90.

hope this helps,


Scott E. Maxwell, SE, PE
Structural Engineer

SmithGroup Inc.
500 Griswold Street, Suite 200
Detroit, MI  48226

Telephone: (313) 442-8253                              Fax: (313) 983-3636

Email for Business: smaxwell(--nospam--at)
Email for Personal: smaxwell(--nospam--at)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 Jack_Creviston(--nospam--at) wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Scott.  I do not have a BS in engineering (yet).  I
> do, however, have a BS in physics.  That, and the classes I've taken for my
> 2nd BS (engineering) allowed me to take the FE.  In Indiana, anyway, I meet
> the education requirements to take the PE.
> You do, however, bring up a good question about the requirements in other
> states.  I'm seriously considering not finishing my engineering degree if I
> pass the PE (I've been taking classes now for 13 years).  Will this cause
> problems with obtaining reciprocity other states? Do some states require a
> degree from an ABET program, period, no substitutions?