Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Off-subject(?): Indiana PE exam(s)

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In California, you need so many years of experience to become qualified to
take the PE exam.  A BS in engineering from an ABET program counts as four
years.  A BS in engineering from a nonABET program counts as 2 years. A MS
in engineering from an ABET program counts as 1 year.  As with most
guidelines, there are always an oppurtunities to appeal.  I have a MS in
engineering from a nonABET program (Caltech, home to Housner & other pillars
of earthquake engineering).  They denied my application for the PE.  I wrote
an appeal letter and got a waiver (with less than a week to the test).  One
of the SE's who I have worked with that I most admire does not have a BS.
He got his experience from, well, experience.

IMO, an excellect book for the seismic portion is 345 Solved Seismic Design
Problems by Majid Baradar, PE, Professional Publications, Inc.  ISBN

Mike O'Brien, PE

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott E Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: Off-subject(?): Indiana PE exam(s)

> Jack,
> While can only speak about Michigan and Illinois (SE at least), I believe
> that most PE requirements are based on having a ABET accredited degree OR
> equivalent.  This means if you have an ABET accredited degree in
> engineering, you should have no problems.  However, if you have an
> engineering degree taht is not from an ABET accredited program (i.e.
> typically this would mean a degree from a foreign university), then it
> must be shown that the classes that you took are equivalent to what ABET
> requires.  This can mean that you have to "prove" this (i.e. gather
> descriptions of class for comparison to ABET classes).  The last scenario
> is if you don't have an engineering degree.  I honestly don't recall how
> Michigan (or Illinois) handle this since it wasn't something that I had to
> deal with myself.  If I remember tonight, I will peruse through my copy of
> the Michigan PE act and get back to you.  I think that you might have some
> problems in the future with reciprocity if you don't have your engineering
> degree.
> As an example, there was a post by someone try to get reciprocity in North
> Dakota (?).  This person had gotten his PE in Minnesota.  When took the PE
> exam in Minnesota, he was actually about a month short of 4 year
> experience but was allowed to take the exam.  He passed.  After practicing
> wiht his PE for many years, he applied for reciprocity in ND but was
> denied because at the time he took the PE exam he did not have the full 4
> years experience.  You can probably look through the archives if you want
> more info (or that person might speak up again).  I believe the post was
> around July or so.
> Therefore, you might want to look a little further into things before you
> take the PE.
> BTW, NSPE has some book that supposedly talks about the requirements for
> various states.  I might acquire that book in the future.  I think it
> costs about $90.
> hope this helps,
> Scott
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Scott E. Maxwell, SE, PE
> Structural Engineer
> SmithGroup Inc.
> 500 Griswold Street, Suite 200
> Detroit, MI  48226
> Telephone: (313) 442-8253                              Fax: (313) 983-3636
> Email for Business: smaxwell(--nospam--at)
> Email for Personal: smaxwell(--nospam--at)
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 Jack_Creviston(--nospam--at) wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the info, Scott.  I do not have a BS in engineering (yet).  I
> > do, however, have a BS in physics.  That, and the classes I've taken for
> > 2nd BS (engineering) allowed me to take the FE.  In Indiana, anyway, I
> > the education requirements to take the PE.
> >
> > You do, however, bring up a good question about the requirements in
> > states.  I'm seriously considering not finishing my engineering degree
if I
> > pass the PE (I've been taking classes now for 13 years).  Will this
> > problems with obtaining reciprocity other states? Do some states require
> > degree from an ABET program, period, no substitutions?
> >
> >
> >