[no subject]

Dear Sir/Madam:

The design of a 10 story SMRF demands a "very" strong beam at the 10th floor level due to a very heavy dead load (5 times as much compared to other floors) at this level.  Rest of the floors carry usual dead + live.  If I am required to meet the SCWB criteria as per the ACI/UBC, then I need to make the columns supporting the 10th floor and the 11th floor quite heavy (strong).  However, since my lower floor beams are considerably lighter, I can relax the strength of the lower floor columns to the extent that it satisfies both the SCWB criteria at those levels and the strength criteria from the load combo.

Is it "PRACTICAL" to have a heavy (strong) column on an intermediate floor (in order to satisfy the SCWB criteria on that level) and then curtail the reinforcement on the bottom floors so that a reduced strength is achieved as required?  I was thinking whether this would introduce a possible weak story in the 9th floor level where I reduce the strength by curtailing the reinforcements appropriately.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

Sat

Get the Latest News at CNN Interactive: http://CNN.com