Re: Wood shrinkage

John

The lumber grading rules allow maximum of 19% moisture content (MC) for Dry
and if Kiln Dried, 15% MC for framing (dimension lumber such as 2x4's to
2x12's and 4x's). I would suggest that you use these as the "initial"
moisture content.

The Wood Handbook: Wood as an Engineering Material by the US Dept. of
Agriculture, Forest Service contains additional information you are looking
for. In Chapter 14, Table 14.1 framing is recommended to be 12% average,
individual pieces are 9 to 14 % for most areas of the country that includes
Iowa. (Other areas are the dry Southwest and the damp coastal areas.) This
can be used to for the equilibrium moisture content that can be expected in
the wood after construction. I would suggest using these values for the
"final" moisture content.

Interior wood materials are recommended to be 8% average and 6 to 10% for
individual pieces.

Dimensional change coefficients are included there as well. For Douglas fir
Coast, radial coefficient is approximately 0.165% and tangential is 0.267%.
These coefficients are percent dimension change per 1 percent change in
moisture content based on dimension at 10 percent MC.

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design
Lakewood, CO