RE: Underhung Crane Design - Lateral Forces

The only 'reading' I can recommend is a British Standard which, although
being over 40 years old, is still used today. Try BS2853:1957 'The Design &
Testing of Steel Overhead Runway Beams'. It contains details of calculations
for bending stresses both in tension & compression as well as longitudinal
and transverse stresses.