Re: Grade 8 Bolts

This definitely sounds like a fatigue problem and if it is, it will likely
occur again.  Grade 8 bolts are roughly the equivalent of A490 bolts, however,
they are not typically used for structural applications.  If it is a fatigue
problem, I would assume that the bolts are located within the column flanges.
Due to the beam rotation this would cause large stress fluctuations in the bolt
since the beam will rotate about the column flanges. Short of some type of
modification to move the bolts outside the column flanges, your best option
would be to recommend frequent inspections and replacement of the bolts.

Neil J. Glaser, P.E.