RE: Underhung Crane Design - Lateral Forces

Check the listserver archives for 3/99 and 10/98 which may be of value to
you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobby Jenkins [mailto:jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 2:24 PM
To: Seaint
Subject: Underhung Crane Design - Lateral Forces

We are load rating an underhung crane system for a client that desires to
relocate the system into another facility.  We have reviewed and designed
numerous top running crane systems and monorail systems, but it has been a
long time since I have done an underhung crane package.  In reviewing design
procedures, I am confronted with a lack of understanding of the design of an
underhung crane system girder for code prescribed lateral loads.

The loading is applied at the bottom flange and the flange is unsupported
the full length of the building, 150'.

The client is currently indicating a 5 T hoist on an underhung system being
supported by simple span beams, (S15x42.9 with a C8x11.5 cap channel).  The
crane span is 45'-0.  With a maximum adjusted wheel load of  8.5 K / wheel
vertical and 1.15 K / wheel lateral, I can not begin to get this thing to
check.

Any thoughts, comments, suggested reading, or direction will be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Bobby Jenkins, P.E.
Jenkins Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 2101 / 218 S Thomas St  Suite 209
Tupelo, MS  38803
(662)840.1233 V / (662)840.1103 F
E-mail:  jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com <mailto:jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com>