Re: Underhung Crane Design - Lateral Forces

The best reference for calculation of stresses, etc., is:
CMAA Specification #74.  It can be bought from The Material Handling
Institute: Tel.No. 704 522 8644.

The principal difficulty is in determining the unbraced compression flange
length.  For a simple span, traditionally, the span is taken as the unbraced
compression flange length. For continuous spans, the above assumption seems
to be more justified, for the simple reason that, at the supports, the
compression flange is at the top.  Addition of a capping channel definitely
adds lateral (and torsional stiffness) thereby increasing the lateral
torsional buckling capacity.  In several designs I have completed, I add some
lateral stiffeners (an angle member, the other end of which is connected to
adjacent beams or columns) at the top flange.  Steel being a forgiving
material, our design shortcomings are often absorbed by the material
characteristics.  If you have any specific questions, please let me know.  I
have designed several underhung monorails, and so far, none of them has
collapsed.

P. Rajendran
Service & Technology Corporation
105 SW Penn