Re: Pool Framing

Randy,

I encountered this same problem in late 1998 and presented it to the list.
The list server archives should have the responses I received.   I had a 90'
span over the pool, with skylights.  We ended up going with steel joists and
metal deck and a high quality paint system:  Sand blast cleaning per SSPC-
SP-6, one 3.0 mil coat of TNEMEC 90-97 urethane zinc-rich, then two coats
4.0-6.0 mil each of TNEMEC N27 polyamide epoxy.

Incidentally, I went swimming at the local YMCA this weekend, and they had
concrete double-tees with no apparent problems.  Good luck.

> I am in the process of designing a new High School which includes a
> natatorium. Precast/prestressed construction has been suggested by the
> architect due to concerns of corrosion. Given the 88' span I would prefer
> to frame with steel. What is the preferred framing system for this
> situation.
>
> Thanks for you help.
> Randy Diviney
> Structural Engineering Dept.