RE: Steel Joists - Shop drawing review

Philip T. Hodge wrote:

> Any reputable joist fabricator will be more than happy to sign and
> seal their calculations with a PE from the state of manufacture after
approval
> of the drawings provided you specify the requirement at time of bid.
> Personally, I neither require it nor see the value.  In the eastern states
in
> which I am registered if I hold myself out to be a PE, and if I claim (or
it can
> be demonstrated) that I did certain engineering work, than I am just as
liable
> whether I physically stamp the work or not.

Do you run an analysis on each joist member to check stresses? If not, do
you accept liability for the joist members regardless of whether they have
been designed by an engineer or not? The way I see it, I require a PE stamp
on joist designs to ensure that the joists have been designed by an engineer
for the loads I've specified. I am still liable for the proper specification
of applied loads and for "applicability" and interface of the joists with
the remainder of the structure. But the joist manufacturer should be liable
if an individual joist member was not designed properly. A PE stamp helps
ensure that they take responsibility for their portion of the design.

But there is a question as to whether their PE stamp should be from the
state where the joist is being installed or from the state of manufacture of
the joist. Normally PE stamps should be from the state where installation is
to occur. But for such a premanufactured component, an argument can be made
that the EOR takes responsibility for the joist applicability to the
specific structure and the joist manufacturer's PE stamp is solely to verify
that the members have been designed for the specified loads. But what do
state PE laws require? Is joist design "engineering" or is it
"manufacturing"?